- The History Of Eastern Obolo
- The history of the Eastern Obolo, whose little settlements are scattered among the mangrove swamps along the coast – from the left bank of the Imo River to the Qua Iboe River estuary and beyond – is full of myth, voyage and mystery.1 Their traditions contain elements of Bonny, Opobo and Ibibio culture. Living off the water and subsisting on seafood and its exchange with agricultural produce inland, they developed a good understanding of the interdependence of the elements in their ecosystem- the (male) soul of the great mangrove trees, which is linked to the (female) soul of the ever shifting water, to produce and hold, against the devastating elements, their offspring – the mud. On the harmony among these three, depended the survival of all aquatic life and the human existence.
- The Obolo dug-out canoes and house boats, equipped with all necessities for on-board living and fitted, nowadays, with out-board engines, dominate the coastal fishing waters of the Bight. Small camps, okorombom, huddled on the sandy lagoon or estuary beaches, serve temporary shelter and fishing camps, while they follow the fish schools for months on end. Smaller boats, paddled by women and children, traverse the inner creeks and channels, engaged in shell-fish gathering and clam-breeding to supplement the men’s catch during the off-season. Women also cure and smoke the fish, on made by them cane frames and take it to the market. The trade with dry fish and sea food in the Opobo and Bonny-controlled markets in the region sustained Eastern Obolo prosperity in the 18th and 19th Century. Obolo tradition maintains, that Obolo boats controlled the trade to the inland Moco (Ibibio) and Ngwa (Igbo) country upriver for the past three centuries,2 also engaging coastal piracy. During the 18th century wars with the Ogoni and Bonny for dominion of the hinterland trade routes, the Obolo blocked the markets and stopped all trade on the rivers. Both Jaja, who took a solemn oath of brotherhood at the Yok Obolo shrine to be allowed to pass and settle at the Okoloba (Opobo) Island, and his European partners who came to the river to trade, acknowledged their decisive presence.
- Colourful Anglican church service at a temporary school building at Bethlehem village, conducted by the Rt Rev. Emmanuel E. Nglass.Through the hidden inland channels in the Obolo marshland, along the Uta Ewa, Okoroinyong and Qua Iboe creeks, Opobo war canoes cut their way to the Qua Iboe River in 1881 and attacked in the back the unsuspecting Ibeno settlements who dared to deal directly with the European traders, by-passing Jaja’s authority. The Ibeno, helped by European traders, armed themselves for revenge, but order was restored through the mediation of Jaja’s Obolo friend, John Ikuru, and British consular warning (Ejituwu, 1991: 146). The 1918 canon guns, lying on the Opukalama Beach, testify to the battles for trade superiority. Trade bases in the past, the sandy Obolo beaches of the estuary, Okwan Obolo, are suitable spots for tourism and water sports today.
- The destruction of the Obolo religious and political centre at Ngo and their central Yok Obolo shrine during the British military expedition in 1904, supported by Opobo and Bonny war canoes, did not destroy the idea of Obolo unity. The planned revenge on the Opobo was reported to the British authorities and was stopped only through a 90-day imprisonment of the Obolo leaders and high priest at the Egwanga Government Station (Ejituwu,1991: 171).
- Altogether, 21 settlements, spreading out from dispersal points, east and west of the Imo River, sprang up as a result of internal conflicts on the sites of earlier fishing outposts.
- The largest and oldest settlement and administrative centre of the Eastern Obolo is Okoroete, established by the prominent Unyangala trader, Okurube, who fled from the legendary Nnah Biget’s incessant military campaigns.3 By 1900 the Qua Iboe Mission opened a chapel at Iko and in 1916 the Church Missionary Society, expanding from Opobo Town, established itself at Okoroete, followed by the Christ Army Church (attractive with its healing sessions) and the Lutheran Mission (popular with their vernacular church services). There were well established Anglican Churches in several Okoroete settlements by 1910, connected with the Ikuru Town missionary headquarters, which was known for its militant approach to traditional religion and its association with the Garrick Braide movement. The first native court, established in 1935 at Okoroete, became a centre of intense nationalistic propaganda and tribal development, which culminated in the formation of the Obolo State Union and a series of land court cases with the Opobo, Ogoni, Bonny, Ibibio and Okrika people.
- A strong women’s association at Iko supported communal work, road repair and domestic classes for women, conducted by Mma Brazier of the Methodist Mission at Ibekwe. Eastern Obolo I was recently supplied with modern amenities – health centres, schools, roads, potable water and electricity, in return for the oil exploitation, gas-flaring and pollution from the nearby Shell floating station at Utapate (Utibiete) near Iko.
- Metal relics at the Isijong shrine of the sea deity built at Amangbauji’s market place (Courtesy: Chief C. J. John, 1996)Eastern Obolo II villages, the largest of which is Okoroinyong, were devastated and depopulated during the Nigerian Civil War. All around are new, post-1970 traditional houses, built on the dry sandy spots among the rivulets and wetlands. St. John’s Anglican Church at Okoroinyong, built with canoe-transported from Opobo bricks, stands on its sandy platform, cherishing its 1918 beautifully carved pulpit and altar.
- The main beach landing and the family shrines, including the iele life-tree, planted by the founder, lie across the wooden bridge, made of disused canoe planks. Each of the main settlements has a subsidiary of the Yok Obolo shrine, indicated by a sacred inwang-egbe tree, as well as the customary Isijong shrine of the sea deity, where annual rituals are performed and near which, at the traditional village playground, the annual Ofiokpo ancestral festival becomes a rallying-point of clan unity at the end of each year.
- Bethlehem is a small settlement, founded in 1717 by Adasi Nte and his family as Ijong Awaji village. It became the first Christian outpost in the area. In 1893, Rev. J. A. Pratt from Opobo renamed it after the biblical town, while commissioning the St. Bede’s Church, established there by the Opobo trader, Chief Sam Tobby.
- Okoroinyong Creek, used as a base for the oil exploration team in Eastern Obolo IIFrom the equally small Amanglass village, an Okoroinyong colony, consisting of a handful of native houses, where 75 % of the inhabitants are reportedly literate, comes the first graduate and Anglican bishop from the area, Rt. Rev. Emmanuel E. Nglass.
- At the creek’s landing in the mangrove shrub is the fresh water spring of the village – just a few short steps away from the salty swamp water and black mud. A picturesque, long and narrow walk-over wooden bridge, precariously propped on long sticks over the deep ravine, connects Amanglass with Ayama, where the Aman Obolo (Voice of Obolo) women’s shrine is kept by its priestess. Almost in the centre of the cluster of nine Obolo villages, on a strip of cultivable land, south of Ete, is located a lone Ibibio village, Ikot Akpan Udo, a long established centre of Obolo/Ibibio trade and a renowned area market, called by the Ibibio urua Obodom (from Obolom). Ikot Abasi traders come from far distances to exchange there fresh vegetables for dry fish and other seafoods. The specialised Obolo markets prospered from the dried fish trade during the war years, when stock-fish imports ceased (Ann. Rep. 1914).
- Modern oil-concession maps mark the Eastern Obolo area as a rich mineral oil field, currently explored, as is the whole of the Ikot Abasi hinterland, by the blue-and-yellow clad crews of the Western Geophysical company. The oil wealth is expected to improve the lot of the Obolo people, who through a strong co-operative tradition and sea-faring entrepreneurship, have tried to earn a comfortable existence from their God-given environment.
- The Government Of Eastern Obolo
- The Eastern Obolo local government council is in charge of public administration in Eastern Obolo local government area. The council is headed by a chairman who is also the head of the executive arm of the local government.
- The Eastern Obolo legislative council is made up of 10 Councillors representing the 10 wards of the local government. The 10 wards of Eastern Obolo local government area are:
- Eastern Obolo 1
- Eastern Obolo 11
- Eastern Obolo 111
- Eastern Obolo 1v
- Eastern Obolo ix
- Eastern Obolo v
- Eastern Obolo v1
- Eastern Obolo v11
- Eastern Obolo v111
- Eastern Obolo x
- The Culture Of Eastern Obolo
- The cultural heritage is not restricted to the people. Rather the entire Niger Delta with unique traditional dressing synonymous with “Etibo” and “Wurkor“.
- The people are a mixture Andoni and Iko extractions; strong cultural affinity exists among the people.
- The official language is the Obolo language which is also spoken among the Andoni people of Rivers State.
- The Population Of Eastern Obolo
- The widely disputed result of the 2006 national population census put the population of Eastern Obolo local government area at 59,970, with 30,229 males and 29,741 females.
- Eastern Obolo local government area is in Akwa Ibom South Senatorial district alongside Eket, Esit Eket, Ibeno, Ikot Abasi, Mbo, Mkpat Enin, Okobo, Onna, Oron, Udung Uko, and Urue Offong/Oruko local government areas. Eastern Obolo local government area also forms a federal constituency alongside Ikot Abasi and Mkpat Enin local Government Area, in the North East by Onna local government area, in the West by Ikot Abasi local government area, in the South East by Ibeno Local Government Area and in the South by the Atlantic Ocean.
Eastern Obolo local government area has an area of 120 km². It is located in the Niger Delta fringe between Imo and Qua Iboe Rivers estuaries and lies between latitudes 4° 28` and 4° 53` and longitudes 7° 50` and 7° 55` East. Eastern Obolo local government area is bounded in the North by Mkpat Enin Local Government Area, in the North East by Onna local government area, in the West by Ikot Abasi local government area, in the South East by Ibeno Local Government Area and in the South by the Atlantic Ocean.
Visit or contact the office of the Paramount Ruler of Eastern Obolo
Choose from the Different offices and liaison offices
Royal Palace 1
Royal Palace office2
Main office location
Eastern Obolo zip codes
Ama Ngbuoji 534206
Ama Ngulasi 534206
Emere Oke I 534206
Emere Oke II 534206
Okoro Inyong 534206
Okwon Obolo 534206